The Drôme has an impressive and varying landscape. A camping holiday in the South-East of France is a must for true nature lovers. In the region of Drôme you can do beautiful hiking trails through picturesque mountains, along beautiful rivers and walk to lookout points for impressive valleys. Furthermore, you can also experience the culture of France by visiting the region's historic towns and villages.
Our campsites in the Drôme
Within the Drôme region we offer camping Château de Galaure. Camping Château de Galaure possesses facilities and activities for both young and old. Guests can enjoy the heated swimming pool and separate children's pool with a lazy river as the icing on the cake to complete the water fun. What is very unique is that this campground possesses a natural lagoon pool with a large sandy beach. Finally, the surroundings also offer many great things, such as a stream train ride, cozy terraces and the Oriental castle Palais Idéal.
At our campsite in the Drôme you can stay in luxury two and three-bedroom mobile homes. The main aspects that the Premium Lounge 3 bedrooms and the Premium Lounge 2 bedrooms are the free air conditioning, large lounge sofa on the veranda and the free pillows and comforters. For more information about this campground, please contact us about camping options!
Sightseeing in the Drôme
- For the real sweet tooth, the historic city of Montélimar is a must. This charming town is known for nougat, so sweet-toothed visitors can spend their time in this town. There is the opportunity to visit some nougat factories and enthusiasts can participate in a guided tour. Furthermore, there are also many walking opportunities in the old city center to combine various activities.
- Are you a lover of history? Then a visit to the breathtaking castle Château de Grignan is definitely recommended for you. According to people, this castle is the most impressive Renaissance castle in France. Visitors who want to know more about its history can book a guided tour. Of course, it is also possible to explore the castle on your own. The atmosphere around the castle is even more enjoyable because of the beautiful surrounding vineyards that you can also admire from the castle!
- Are you looking for adventure and mild adrenaline in the Drôme region? The sensational gorge at Gorges de l'Ardèche is suitable for canoeing on wild water and simultaneously enjoying the surrounding nature. To make the experience even more unforgettable, it is wonderful to canoe during sunset.
- In the Drôme it is possible to visit several vineyards where you can taste local wines that are extremely flavorful and not known worldwide among wine drinkers.
- Mountain and nature lovers have a wonderful opportunity to go hiking in the rugged and mountainous landscapes. Parc Naturel Régional du Vercors is a national park where you can do hikes of different levels. There are also outdoor activities available in this mountainous area.
- For historical city lovers, the town of Crest is a must see. Wander through the historic town and you will find beautiful historic gems. Moreover, there is an intensive climb to the medieval Donjon which is also the highest in France. The views of the city and its surroundings do not disappoint!
- One activity that can be done throughout Drôme are the local crafts and food markets that mostly found in towns. Here you have the opportunity to try local delicacies, buy art and useful products and purchase typical souvenirs as mementos of the wonderful holiday in the Drôme.
- Here you have the opportunity to try local delicacies, buy art and useful products and buy typical souvenirs as mementos of the wonderful holiday in the Drôme.
Climate in Drome
The Drome region has a temperate continental climate with relatively cold winters and warm summers. The summer months can be incredibly hot and dry with temperatures of 30 to 35 degrees Celsius and rare outliers of 40 degrees Celsius. The summer months are also the busiest months with tourists because of the pleasant summer temperatures with little chance of precipitation.
The winters, on the other hand, are somewhat milder with temperatures around 10 and 15 degrees Celsius. Keep in mind that snow can fall in the northern part of the region and especially in the mountains.
Travel in Drôme
The infrastructure in Drôme is well regulated, so there is no shortage of transportation options. The roads are for the most part well maintained to easily reach campsites, cities and villages by car.
The train network is also excellent for traveling to this region by train from the Netherlands. The city of Valence is an essential rail hub with which other railroads in the Drôme region are well connected. Bus routes are particularly well arranged in cities.
If you do not own a car, there is the possibility of renting a car scattered around the region. A rental car is a good alternative if you want freedom during your holiday in the Drôme.
In the region of Drôme you can enjoy culinary and delicious local dishes. Some local dishes that you should definitely try out are the following specialties: Ravioli de la Drôme (stuffed pasta), Cailette (pastry with mixed minced meat, vegetables and herbs) and Pogne de Romans ( sweet bread with orange blossom water herbs). To whet the taste buds, a nice white or red wine is an excellent option.
Important information and helpful tips
Are you looking for useful tips and information for your holiday in the Drôme? On our France page you will find all kinds of useful information and tips under the heading 'more information'.